- 1 Pound of dried green split peas
- 1 Cup chopped yellow onions
- 4 Medium diced carrots
- 2 Cloves of minced garlic
- ½ Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 Cup of olive oil
- 1 Cup of sliced ham
- 3 Medium diced potatoes(unpeeled)
- 3 Stalks of Celery
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 8 Cups of water or chicken stock
- Place your cooking pot on medium heat. Then add the olive oil, onions and garlic and sauté. Add the Oregano, salt and pepper and sauté until the onions appear translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, the potatoes, ½ pound of the peas and water or chicken stock. Let it boil and then simmer it uncovered for like 30 minutes.
- Skim off the foam and add the remaining ½ pound of the peas and add the ham. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the peas soften.
- Stir continuously to prevent the solid mixture from burning. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Serve when hot.
Serves 6 People
You can get these ingredients at the Organic Farmers Market which takes place every Saturday at Purdy Arms in Karen from 9.00am-3.00pm.